Build Your Inner Circle
Life is not always easy. Stumbling blocks and obstacles are bound to come up along the way. So, who do you turn to when you need help with life’s challenges?
Tips to Build Your Social Support System
Finding a good support system to deal with life’s challenges may be difficult at different times in your life. Maybe you’ve moved to a new city or have lost touch with old friends. If you find yourself with no one to talk to, it’s time to create a trusted network of friends, colleagues and peers, known as a social support system, who can enhance your emotional well-being and quality of life.
Meeting new people, however, can be difficult, especially if you’re shy. Here are a few ideas to get started:
- Take a class or find a hobby. Adult education classes and hobbies are easy ways to meet new people with similar interests.
- Join a health club. Exercise has numerous health benefits and can be a great way to meet people with a pre-established common interest of working out.
- Play team sports. Joining a basketball, softball or volleyball league puts you in a team environment where interaction and communication are necessary for success. It’s a wonderful way to develop friendships and lets you exercise while having fun.
- Socialize with co-workers. If you get along well with your co-workers, pick one day a week or month to get together outside of work. It also provides an opportunity for co-workers to meet one another’s friends.
- Participate in community service activities. Community organizations are always looking for volunteers and provide a perfect environment to meet new people while serving others.
- Stay in touch with friends and family. Life gets busy, but the extra effort required to get together and stay updated on each other’s lives is key to maintaining a good social support system.
Getting Help (Free Resources for Cox Employees):
Healthy Lifestyle Coach: All Cox Medical Plan members have free access to a dedicated team of health coaches who will work with you, over the phone and on your schedule, to accomplish your health goals. Conversations between you and your health coach are private. Call 866-213-0153 today to schedule a session.
Counseling: Through Magellan, Cox offers free and confidential counseling. All full-time employees have access to eight free visits with a licensed counselor per topic. Visit magellanassist.com or call 800-888-CARE (2273). The organization name is Cox.